Puppet art is a very ancient art. Puppet art can be used for entertainment and education.
The word puppet art is derived from all the Latin word pupa, meaning doll or girl.
Puppets art came to be in India, under the sovereigns of all the Vijayanagar Empire, in 3rd Century A.D. It was honed to an art in Andhra Pradesh.
A puppet art is an object, often resembling a human, animal or mythical figure that is animated or manipulated by a person called a puppeteer.
puppet art is unique art to teach about the coordination.
Puppeteer shows Puppet play which helps young children to develop creative skills by showing them to use their imaginations. They show the real world becomes more real to children who have opportunities to pretend.
The puppeteer uses movements of their hands, arms, or control devices such as rods or strings to move the body, head, limbs, and in some cases the mouth and eyes of the puppet.
Nowadays the craze of puppet art shows is decreasing as kids are more indulge with computer games and mobile phones.
In today`s scenario, our Lifestyles have changed so quickly and a lot of our traditional hobbies and crafts are consigned to the archives.
Television and videos take up our spare time, and the unbelievable Information Highways have turned into obsessive-compulsive freaks who cannot maintain our fingers off the mouse.
Even there are no regular puppet shows organized by any of entertainer.
We should organize puppet art shows on festival occasions so that our children should not forget the essence of our nation’s oldest entertainment.
Infect, people can generate a good amount of money from this business of puppet shows, by doing this our oldest puppet entertainment always be alive and a source of income will always have its own space.
We can also include this puppet shows in our street plays/ stories/dramas.
Puppet art is also using it to educate our children about the study or on-going events in the nation, like some of the Indian comedian are using this to make laugh audience or to express their emotions.
Puppet art is a good option to educate our moral value, culture, and tradition to our next generation.
The puppeteer often speaks in the voice of the character of the puppet and then synchronizes the movements of the puppet’s mouth with this spoken part.
Different-different states in India having their own style of the puppet with a different name of the puppets like in Kathputli in Rajasthan and Putulnautch in West Bengal.
The Cambodian puppeteers motivated the Thais, and in the Fourteenth Century, Thai shadow play came to prominence. Java and Bali followed though it didn’t catch on in Sumatra.
The Malays followed the Japanese and Vietnamese styles in the 19th Century. From all the Museum Negara in Kuala Lumpur, a gallery of shadow puppets from sixteen countries have been shown.
Stories from all the Mahabharata also lend themselves to interpretation by puppeteers. Puppetry is more than 1500 years old in China.
Their tales are never from all the Hindu epics but from ancient Chinese classical literature.
There’s evidence too of puppets at ancient Egypt, mostly miniatures of Gods.
In the mid-nineteenth Century, it was known as marionette since the puppet of Mary was utilized in Nativity plays.
Puppets survived all the Middle Ages, even though all the Church forbade drama and Theatre.
In the sixteenth Century, throughout all the gold rush to all the Honduras, a guy Called Cortes entertained these leaders, throughout their long journey from Mexico into their El Dorado.
In puppet art the actions, gestures and spoken parts acted out by the puppeteer with the puppet are typically used in storytelling.
Puppetry is a very ancient form of theatre which dates back to the 5th century BC in Ancient Greece.
Types of Puppets:-
There are many different varieties of puppets.
Puppets are made from a wide range of materials, depending on their form and intended use.
They range from very simple in construction and operation to very complex.
- Two simple types of puppets are the finger puppet, which is a tiny puppet that fits onto a single finger, and the sock puppet, which is formed and operated by inserting one’s hand inside a sock, with the opening and closing of the hand simulating the movement of the puppet’s “mouth.”
- The sock puppet is a type of hand puppet, which is controlled using one hand that occupies the interior of the puppet and moves the puppet around.
- A “live-hand puppet” is similar to a hand puppet but is larger and requires two puppeteers for each puppet.
- A Marionette a much more complicated type of puppet that is suspended and controlled by a number of strings connected to the head, back, and limbs, plus sometimes a central rod attached to a control bar held from above by the puppeteer.
- A rod puppet constructed around a central rod secured to the head.
- A shadow puppet is a cut-out figure held between a source of light and a translucent screen.
Bunraku puppets are a type of Japanese wood-carved puppet.
- A ventriloquist’s dummy is a human-shaped puppet operated by a ventriloquist performer’s hand. The performer produces the puppet’s voice with little or no movement of her mouth, which creates the illusion that the puppet is alive.
- Carnival puppets are large puppets, typically bigger than a human, designed to be part of a large spectacle or parade.